Church of the Sacred Heart Templemore
At present an application for a Fire Safety Certificate for the Church of the Sacred Heart Templemore is with the Planning Authority. When this is granted, tender for the electrical works including Fire Alarms, Detection, P.A., C.C.T.V. and general power, new lighting, all electrical services emergency exit signage, heating and plumbing alterations will be sought.
We will have to vacate the building while these works are on hand so that the work is carried out in a fairly quick time frame (two months) and with a cost saving.
The morning Mass and weekend Masses will have to be in another location in town – your suggestions are welcome as to where this might be - parking, easy access and accommodating the congregation must be kept in mind.
Designed in 1877 by George Ashlin, the Church is a fine Gothic revival church. It was opened for celebration of mass in 1882, after the foundation stone was laid in 1877. The spire was not completed until 1905. Interior fittings and stained glass are by Mayer and Earley.
It is described in The Building News, October 4th 1878 as follows: “This building has been erected to replace the old parish church, which was ruinous. It is built of dark limestone, with light yellowish freestone dressings. The nave columns are of Aberdeen granite, the remainder of the internal stonework being of local freestone. The width across nave and aisles is 48ft., and the length 120ft.
“The works are being carried out by day’s work, under Mr. Redmond as foreman. The cost will be about £4,000. The architect is Mr. G. E. Ashlin, Dublin.”
A shorter mention is in The Irish Builder, “Tipperary, from the designs of Mr. G. C. Ashlin. The material to be used will be the local limestone, with dressings of same. The face will consist of broken coursed pitch faced ashlar.
“ The columns of nave and transepts will be of polished red Aberdeen granite in one stone each. Caen 6tone will be used for internal dressings.”