Five homes in Tipperary have been found with radon gas levels above the acceptable level in the past year and a half, according to figures released today by the Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland (RPII).
One home in Cahir had more than six times the acceptable level and the occupants were receiving a radiation dose equivalent to 1500 chest X-rays per year. Radon is the second biggest cause of lung cancer after smoking and is directly linked to more than 200 lung cancer deaths each year in Ireland. In Tipperary, 64 tests for radon gas were completed in the past year and a half and of these, five were found to be above the acceptable level. Commenting on the findings, David Fenton, Senior Scientist at the RPII said: “We know that Tipperary, and in particular South Tipperary, has a problem with radon and yet only a fraction of homeowners have tested.” In addition to the home with the highest level, two homes in Clonmel, one in Nenagh and one in Bansha were found with radon levels of up to 3 times the acceptable level. “Tens of thousands of homeowners in South Tipperary have yet to test for radon and among them are many thousands that are unknowingly being exposed to this cancer causing gas. It is really important for people to test their home for radon as this is the only way of protecting your family,” said Mr Fenton. Freefone 1800 300 600.