Staff of Dooks Fine Food Fethard, winners of Best Newcommer
Tipperary Restaurants were celebrated at the Munster regionals of the Irish Restaurant Awards last night, taking a total of 17 honours home to the premier county including Best Restaurant Manager for Christine Gannon of The Old Convent and Best Chef for Jason Matthia of Chez Hans.
The awards covered a wide range of venues and the winners from each of Munster’s six counties were selected from the following categories: Best Casual Dining, Best Emerging Irish Cuisine, Best Kids Size Me, Best ‘Free From’, Best World Cuisine, Best Restaurant Manager, Best Wine Experience, Pub of the Year, Best Café, Best Customer Service, Best Gastro Pub, Best Hotel & Guesthouse Restaurant, Best Newcomer, Best Chef and Best Restaurant. There was also a special Regional award for Munster’s Local Food Hero.
Speaking at the awards, Adrian Cummins, Chief Executive of the Restaurants Association of Ireland (RAI) said: “Now in their tenth year, the Irish Restaurant Awards continue to showcase the exquisite and admirable calibre of food available in our restaurants and pubs nationwide. Online nominations have increased from 9,000 in 2013 to over 80,000 this year and with the increase in interest comes an increase in standards, making the judging process more difficult than ever.
“Our small island boasts everything from fine dining to high quality gastropubs, from the exotic taste explosions of world cuisine to the comfort of traditional dishes. We have an appreciation for what we eat, for the journey of our food from farm to fork, and for the dedication of those working in the food industry to serve up Ireland’s finest food.”
Tipperary Winners are as follows:
• Best Casual Dining sponsored by San Pellegrino - Café Hans
• Best Emerging Irish Cuisine sponsored by Odaios Foods - Dooks Fine Foods Fethard
• Best Kids Size Me sponsored by Dubliner Cheese - Niamh’s Restaurant & Delicatessen
• Best 'Free From' sponsored by Peroni Nastro Azzurro Gluten Free - Jenny's Kitchen Gluten Free Bakery
• Best World Cuisine sponsored by Aryzta - Befani's Mediterranean & Tapas Restaurant
• Best Restaurant Manager sponsored by AIB Merchant Services- Christine Gannon of The Old Convent
• Best Wine Experience sponsored by Classic Drinks - The Peppermill Restaurant
• Pub of the Year sponsored by Bushmills - McCarthy's Fethard
• Best Café sponsored by Illy - Dooks Fine Foods Fethard
• Best Customer Service - Larkins Bar & Restaurant
• Best Gastro Pub sponsored by Coca Cola & Schweppes - Flanagan's on the Lake
• Best Hotel & Guesthouse Restaurant sponsored by BWG Foodservice - Hotel Minella Clonmel
• Best Newcomer sponsored by Elavon - Dooks Fine Foods Fethard
• Best Chef sponsored by Nisbets - Jason Matthia of Chez Hans
• Best Restaurant sponsored by Tindal Wines - The Old Convent
Congratulations to all of our winners tonight! We can’t wait to see you at the All-Ireland Restaurant Awards 2018 on the 14th May. #FoodOscars— IrishRestaurantAward (@restawards) March 21, 2018