Shannon Rovers claim junior football title after extra-time

North Tipperary Junior A Football Final Shannon Rovers 2-12 Inane Rovers 2-8 AET

North Tipperary Junior A Football Final

Shannon Rovers 2-12 Inane Rovers 2-8 AET

Two periods of extra time saw a fitter Shannon Rovers side retain their title after they defeated Inane Rovers in Ballingarry last Saturday.

The scoreline read 1-8 each at the end of normal time. In the opening bouts of extra time both sides cancelled each other before Shannon Rovers stormed ahead to claim their sixth title.

George Hannigan had Shannon Rovers in front after three minutes but Inane were level within a minute after David McNamara levelled. John Flannery gave Shannon Rovers the lead with a free but a well taken goal by David McNamara had Inane ahead after 11 minutes.

George Hannigan helped Shannon Rovers keep in touch, but Inane hit back with a ‘45.

John Flannery scored his second free in the 26th minute. The Inane kickout was short and Shannon Rovers intercepted to create possession for George Hannigan who levelled matters. Two minutes later it was the turn of Shannon Rovers to mess up a kickout and Inane had Liam England on hand to give his team the lead before the teams changed ends.

On the restart Inane increased their lead though Liam England. However the Inane lead was shortlived and George Hannigan blasted past the helpless Enda Moloney.

Liam England moved Inane ahead with a point after 43 minutes. Two minutes later George Hannigan had Shannon Rovers level at 1-6 each. In the 52nd minute Barry Cahalan popped up to give his side the lead. Two minutes later, Jason Fitzpatrick had Inane back level.

Inane were in the driving seat again and one minute later Redmond Coffey snatched the lead. The remaining five minutes were exciting stuff as Shannon Rovers battled for the equaliser, but the Inane defence gave little away until the third minute of added time an Inane defender was penalised for over carrying. The position was forty metres out, but John Flannery slotted over the equaliser and extra time was required.

Extra time began and three minutes in full forward, Eamon Costello cut the Inane defence in two before he was hauled down for a penalty. Up stepped John Flannery with a cracking effort to the top right hand corner.

The three point lead lasted just five minutes when Liam England fisted a high ball to the net after a well delivered free from Redmond Coffey. The goal stood despite the objection from the Shannon boys. Once play settled the Shannonsiders forced play and the Roscrea defence was well and truly exposed leaving Barry Cahalan with a goal in his sights but he blazed over the bar for the lead score before the teams changed ends. George Hannigan increased the lead to two after just eleven seconds. Forty seconds later Alan Hannigan brought it to three after intercepting the Inane kickout. It was end to end but with a renewed Padraic O’Meara along with Enda Hogan and Julian O’Halloran keeping tabs on every Inane move, Shannon Rovers looked more like winners as play continued and with four minutes on the clock another George Hannigan point left the outcome beyond doubt.

Scorers - Shannon Rovers – G Hannigan 1-6; J Flannery 1-3 (1-0 pen, 0-3f); B Cahalan 0-2; A Hannigan 0-1.

Inane Rovers- L England 1-2 (0-1f); McNamara 1-1; J Fitzpatrick and R Barry (0-1f) 0-2 each; Aryan 0-1 (0-1’45).

Shannon Rovers: Michael James Quinlan; Enda Hogan, Derek Horan (Capt), John Costello; Julian O’Halloran, Padraic O’Meara, Jack O’Sullivan; John Flannery, George Hannigan; Barry Cahalan, Alan Hannigan, Austin Tierney; James Stack, Eamon Costello, Michael Harding. Subs: Collie Brown for O’Meara (42); Paddy Heenan for Harding (49); Padraic O’Meara for Browne (start of Extra time); Eanna McLoughney for Heenan (h/t ET).

Inane Rovers: Enda Moloney; Michael Parlon, David Buckley, Daryl Ryan; Darren O’Connor, Joe Carroll, Robbie Ryan; Keith McMahon, Jason Fitzpatrick; Aaron Ryan, David McNamara, Brian O’Lowe; Liam England, Redmond Coffey, Jim McDonnell. Subs: Darragh Fletcher for McDonnell (12).

Referee: Michael Hayes (Ballina).