Templederry power their way into final

Clean Ireland Recycling County Junior B Hurling Semi-Final Templederry Kenyons 2-16 Killenaule 1-10

Clean Ireland Recycling County Junior B Hurling Semi-Final

Templederry Kenyons 2-16 Killenaule 1-10

North champions Templederry powered their way past Killenaule at Templemore on Sunday to record a nine points semi-final win and claim a place in the Clean Ireland Recycling County Junior B hurling final against Holycross-Ballycahill next weekend.

The Kenyons held the whip hand in many of the key positions but in particular it was their ability to pick off their scores which gave them the decisive edge over opponents who enjoyed enough possession but came up short when it was a matter of turning opportunities into scores.

This was evident from an early stage as Templederry opened a three -points lead in six minutes taking their points while Killenaule struggled to open their account. Jonathan Gleeson had their first point from a free in the 8th minute, but Templederry, with James Hogan, Donal McGrath, Pio and John Kennedy all shaping well, were making the running despite the best efforts of Gleeson and Paul O Dwyer in the Killenaule attack, and the Clearys, John and Kenneth in defence.

On the stroke of half-time Templederry struck a crucial blow. An effort for a point by Donal McGrath came back off the upright and Kieran Carey was in the right spot to steer the rebound to the net for a goal that gave Templederry a 1-7 to 0-5 lead at the interval.

In the damp, cold conditions a five points advantage was worth more than it would be on other occasions and Templederry quickly extended the lead with points by McGrath(2)and Michael O Leary inside five minutes to put them in a commanding position.

Eight points adrift, the game looked to be slipping away from Killenaule but James Doyle gave them a great boost with a 38th minute goal. Further points from Aidan Walsh, Keith Lawrence, and Jonathan Gleeson, to a Ronan Kinane reply for Templederry, left only four points in it at the start of the last quarter.

The contest appeared to be building up for a grandstand finish but a five minute burst by Templederry which yielded points by Donal McGrath(2), Kieran Carey and James Hogan had the North lads cruising with six minutes to go.

Though the odds were now heavily stacked against them, Killenaule were not going down without a fight. Jonathan Gleeson had a twenty meter free beaten out, and another stopped as they sought the goal they needed to spark a rally.

However, the goal ,when it came, was at the Killenaule end, as Ronan Kinane punished a defensive lapse with Templederry’s second goal in the 58th minute which ended the game as a contest.

Templederry will look forward with confidence to their clash with Holycross in the final. Impressive wins over Ballina in the North final and now Killenaule, reflected the quality in the side and they have also benefitted from the recent run of games.

They had key performances from Pio Kennedy, Donal McGrath, John Kennedy, James Hogan, and the industrious Michael O Leary while Ronan Kinane and Kieran Carey showed their eye for an opening in the manner in which they took their goals.

While disappointed, Killenaule cannot complain about the result. They had enough of the ball but came up short when it was a matter of converting possession into scores. Paul ODwyer and Jonathan Gleeson worked very hard for them in attack, while Michael Fitzgerald had a good second half at midfield. Further back John and Kenneth Cleary shone while goalie Rory Loughmnan, apart from one lapse, also had a fine game.

Templederry Kenyons – J Shanahan; B Hayes, D Donnelly, P Hogan; D Kennedy, P Kennedy, M Gleeson; M O Leary(0-1), J Hogan(0-4); D McGrath(0-8, 6fs), C Ryan, J Kennedy(0-1); R Kinane(1-1), T Hogan, K Carey(1-1); Subs- S O Leary for T Hogan; O Murray for Kinane; S McLoughney for Gleeson.

Killenaule- R Loughman; J Berry, A Leahy, J Cleary; J Meagher, K Cleary, V Hannigan; M Fitzgerald, A O Connell; A Walsh(0-1), K Browne, J Gleeson(0-6,3fs); P ODwyer (0-2), D Taylor, J Doyle(1-0); Subs- K Lawrence(0-1) for O Connell; M Doyle for Walsh; M Fennelly for Taylor.

Ref- P J Nolan, Killea.