County Minor A Football Semi-Final - JK Bracken’s Prove Too Strong For Nenagh

Colin O'Riordan on the move for JK Brackens while Nenagh Eire Og's Paul O'Leary gives chase in the County MFC semi-final at Moneygall on Bank Holiday Monday.  Picture: Bridget Delaney

Colin O'Riordan on the move for JK Brackens while Nenagh Eire Og's Paul O'Leary gives chase in the County MFC semi-final at Moneygall on Bank Holiday Monday. Picture: Bridget Delaney

JK Bracken’s proved far too strong for Nenagh Éire Óg in a disappointing county minor A football semi-final played at Moneygall on Monday afternoon. The Mid champions established a 1-9 to 0-2 lead by the break and never looked threatened despite the honest endeavour of the Éire Óg lads.

Brian Kennedy, Dean McEnroe, Jack Fogarty and Seán Patrick Guerins were highly-influential for JK Bracken’s while Colin O’Riordan was absolutely outstanding in the middle of the field. Meanwhile for Éire Óg Luke Kennedy, Barry Heffernan and James Mackey caught the eye.

A brace from Dean McEnroe, a brilliant left-footed effort from Colin O’Riordan and a fourth point from the boot of Eamon Kennedy helped JK Bracken’s into a 0-4 to no-score lead inside the opening 13 minutes.

Following a foul on Paul O’Leary a Luke Kennedy free opened Nenagh’s account before Dean McEnroe (free) restored Bracken’s four-point lead.

A second Luke Kennedy free in the 23rd minute left three between them (0-2 to 0-5) before JK Bracken’s struck for a goal which their enterprising attacking play deserved. In the 24th minute a slick move saw Jack Fogarty move the ball smartly on to the unmarked Seán Patrick Guerins and although the full-forward buried his shot referee Brian Tyrell called the play back for a foul on Guerins. Dean McEnroe stroked the resultant penalty into the bottom left-hand corner and JK Bracken’s led 1-5 to 0-2.

The Mid champions then proceeded to hit four successive points and led 1-9 to 0-2 at the break. Dean McEnroe kicked three of these scores from placed opportunities while Jack Fogarty fired over with the goal at his mercy in the 28th minute.

Colin O’Riordan belted over a terrific point within seconds of the resumption before Luke Kennedy (free) managed Nenagh Éire Óg’s third point in the 33rd minute.

Seán Patrick Guerins then landed a cracker of a point three minutes later before Conor Ryan in the Nenagh goal made a great save to deny Jack Fogarty a certain goal.

In the 39th minute Nenagh Éire Óg enjoyed a goal-scoring opportunity of their own, but ‘keeper Thomas Morrissey managed to deflect a James Mackey effort over the bar. Jack Fogarty and Luke Kennedy then exchanged frees before Nenagh Éire Óg struck for a fine goal in the 45th minute - Adam Grattan found James Mackey with a clever pass and Mackey slipped the ball past the advancing Thomas Morrissey for a smashing three-pointer.

Colin O’Riordan and Barry Heffernan then traded fine points from play to leave seven between them (1-6 to 1-13) by the 47th minute.

Despite the Nenagh Éire Óg rally JK Bracken’s finished much the stronger with six successive points helping the Mid champions toward their 13-point win. Two Dean McEnroe frees, a Dylan Moloney effort, a smashing point from Seán Patrick Guerins and two more superb efforts from Jack Fogarty brought this disappointing contest to a close.

JK Bracken’s: Thomas Morrissey, Lee Fennell, Liam Murphy, Conor Burke, James Bergin, Brian Kennedy, Thomas Brett, Colin O’Riordan (0-3), Dean McEnroe (1-8, 0-7 frees, 1-0 penalty), Karl Stakelum, Jack Fogarty (0-4, 0-2 frees), Jordan Moloney, Eamon Kennedy (0-1), Seán Patrick Guerins (0-2), Paddy Morrissey. Subs: (36th) Michael Greed for Karl Stakelum, (40th) Dylan Moloney (0-1) for Paddy Morrissey, (54th) Brian Roche for Eamon Kennedy, (56th) Michael O’Meara for Colin O’Riordan.

Nenagh Éire Óg: Conor Ryan, Niall Kennedy, Adam Grattan, Ger O’Gorman, Bob O’Brien, Barry Heffernan, Barry O’Connor (0-1), Christopher Ryan, Luke Kennedy (0-4, 0-4 frees), Andrew Coffey, Donnacha Quinn, Shane Hennessy, James Mackey (1-1), Paul O’Leary, Aidan Healy. Subs: (33rd) Gary Howard for Aidan Healy, (40th) Gavin O’Connor for Christopher Ryan, (42nd) Michael Hallinan for Ger O’Gorman, (42nd) Aodhán Geaney for Shane Hennessy.

Referee: Brian Tyrell.


Back to the top of the page