Getting ill while on Jobseeker’s Allowance


I lost my job some time ago and am now getting Jobseeker’s Allowance. I was recently diagnosed with a serious illness. What other social welfare payments can I get?


You may qualify for Illness Benefit. To get Illness Benefit you must be under 66 and unable to work because of illness and you must satisfy the PRSI contribution conditions.

You must have at least 104 contributions paid since you started work. You must also have 39 contributions paid or credited in the relevant tax year of which at least 13 weeks must be paid contributions. You can also qualify if you have 26 paid contributions in the relevant tax year and 26 paid in the year before. The relevant tax year is 2011 for claims in 2013.

People who have been getting long-term Jobseeker’s Allowance (for at least 15 months) and have enough PRSI contributions do not need to have 13 contributions recently paid. If you were getting Jobseeker’s Benefit for a period before going onto Jobseeker’s Allowance, you can include this time in the 15-month requirement.


Back to the top of the page