By Tricia Purcell
On the 66th anniversary of his brother’s death, Jim Murray returned to his graveside, and that of his grandmother’s, to have them blessed by Canon Eugene Everard, at the Sacred Heart Church, Templemore.
Three month old, Harold Murray died on 10th July 1944. His parents were devastated and a few hours after he died, he was buried in the Templemore graveyard, alongside 12-year old Mary Murray, who was of no relation to the Murrays.
Mary Murray died in 1878 and those in charge of the graveyard, arranged to have Harry buried beside her.
Shortly after Harold died and before his name could be added to the gravestone, the family became economic migrants and moved to England.
Three years ago, Harold’s younger brother, John was dying of motor neuron disease and wanted to see the town where he spent happy summer holidays as a child. John was taken by his wife and brother, George, to Templemore where they tried to find Harold’s grave, without success.
John then went on to the battlefields of World War One, where he found his grandfather’s grave. His grandfather, Patrick Burke, was 28 years old when he died by gassing during the war. Patrick Burke died six months before John’s mother, Lizzie Murray (nee Burke, but because her father had died before she was born, was always known as Lizzie Siggers in Templemore) was born.
When John’s brother, Jim Murray, the oldest and only brother to have known Harold, heard of John’s disappointment, he determined to track down Harold’s grave.
Full story in this week’s Tipperary Star.