The death occurred on 6 January of Jo Gorman, formerly of Mitchel Street, Thurles, in her ninety-fourth year.
Born in 1918, Jo was the last surviving member of the family of Pat Gorman of The Quarry (as Mitchel Street was then known) and Bridget Smee of Bohernanave. Growing up in Thurles, Jo attended the Ursuline Convent School and later worked as a receptionist in Hayes Hotel. She and her sisters were keen sportswomen and in 1956 she was appointed Lady Captain of Thurles Golf Club, an honour she recalled fondly throughout her years.
In 1958, Jo moved to Dublin where she lived until her death. Throughout her life she remained connected to her Thurles roots and relations; and was an avid weekly reader of the Tipperary Star keeping up to date with local developments and events.
Jo was pre-deceased by her brothers and sisters, Michael (O’Gorman’s public house), Lilly (Sr. Gertrude, Ursuline Convent Cork), Maura (Sr. Oliver, Ursuline Convent Cork), Bridget (Buckley, Cashel – former pharmacist in Mockler’s Chemist, Liberty Sq.), Stephen (who died in childhood), Fr. Paddy (former parish priest Knockavilla, Dundrum), and Sr.Teresa (FMM).
Her passing is deeply regretted by her loving nieces, nephews, grand nieces and nephews, great grand niece and nephews, cousins, friends, and a wide kinship network. Her remains were removed from Dublin to Thurles for burial in St Patrick’s cemetery after Requiem mass in Bohernanave church. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam.