Confectionery giant Nestlé have apologised to a Londonderry family after a pair of grubby factory gloves were found in a bumper tube of Smarties.
Glenn McIntyre bought three festive tubes of Smarties in Tesco for his sons to open on Christmas morning.
However, one the boys got an unwelcome surprise when they found the gloves stuffed inside one of the boxes.
Glenn told the Derry Journal he had been “disgusted” by the discovery.
“My wee boy thought at first we had stuffed them in there but, of course, we hadn’t.
“The tube had been sealed and we were really shocked to find the gloves. They were really manky – the kind of heavy duty gloves you would expect a workman to wear.”
He sent the item to Nestlé for investigation – and this week the company came back admitting that the gloves were “similar to those used” within their packing area.
Nestlé said they were “very sorry”. In a letter to Mr McIntyre, a spokesperson said: “We are at something of a loss to explain how this incident has occurred, particularly in view of our continuous quality control checks.”
The company sent the McIntyre family a cheque for £200 – saying they hoped the money would “go some way towards making up for what has happened”.