Bishop Burrows On Vintage Fundraiser

Church of Ireland Bishop of Cashel & Ossory the Rt Revd Michael Burrows has just completed eight days of travelling around his extensive United Diocese fund-raising for Bishops’ Appeal.

Church of Ireland Bishop of Cashel & Ossory the Rt Revd Michael Burrows has just completed eight days of travelling around his extensive United Diocese fund-raising for Bishops’ Appeal.

This national fund-raising committee of which Bishop Burrows is the chairperson, helps to coordinate fund-raising for various charities both home and abroad. At present its “Educate for Life” project is centred on Rwanda (partnered with CMS Ireland) and also Swaziland (partnered with USPG Ireland). The monies raised will go to these African countries to assist in their agricultural and educational development. Countries where HIV/AIDS is rampant, life expectancy low and consequences of civil conflict has left its mark.

With this in view, and despite hardship at home, and with these countries so much worse off than our own, the Bishop for the third time since he took office has travelled the length and breadth of the South East with a themed fund-raiser. On the first occasion in 2007 he travelled by rail around his dioceses and in 2009 he visited each of his 150 parishes within a fortnight playing the organ in each church.

This time the focus has been on vintage traction and he has travelled on and has seen on display many different types of agricultural machinery and tractors and vintage and classic cars in each of the 33 sets of parishes.

On his final day the Bishop, accompanied by local Bishop’s Appeal Officer Billy Kingston and the Diocesan Communications Officer Herbie Sharman, arrived in Cashel and was greeted at the cathedral by the Dean the Very Revd Dr Philip Knowles and members of his union of parishes.

On display was a 1950 Massey Ferguson tractor and a duck egg blue Ford Prefect from 1959 owned by Donal O’Connell.

Presentations were made by the parishes and the national school for which appreciation was expressed and refreshments were taken, following which, the Bishop took his leave to complete his circuit in Cahir.