The Mayor of North Tipperary, Cllr Micheal Lowry, has criticised Transport Minister Leo Varadkar’s decision to tell the National Roads Authority to shelve plans for Thurles bypass.
It was reported in the national media this Tuesday that Minister Varadkar had told the NRA to suspend work on up to 45 routes, including Thurles bypass and work on the Pallasgreen to Bansha road.
“This is news to us. We have not been formally told about this. It is not good enough for councillors and council officials to read about this in the national media,” he said. “We should have been told and then we could have made our case.”
Mayor Lowry told the Tipperary Star that councillors had been assured recently that the work would go ahead and they were waiting to see the proposed bypass routes at the next meeting of North Tipperary County Council.
Full story in this week’s Tipperary Star