Tipperary’s U-21 hurlers will take on Galway in a tournament game on Sunday evening next in Killea to mark the official opening of Tommy Treacy Park - the new name to be given to the grounds.
The evening will commence with the official opening of the facilities by County GAA Board Chairman Sean Nugent at 6:00pm and the challenge game will the follow and will feature a number of panelists from both senior squads.
The Tribesmen and Premier County stars will be on show and supporters will catch a glimpse of what the future holds for these sides - who knows perhaps they will meet later on in the All-Ireland championship?
Killea GAA club have undertaken a lot of work at their grounds over the last few years with the field having been levelled, a stand erected and the provision of floodlighting for training, and dressingrooms and recreation hall in conjunction with the Killea Cultural Group. This was done with the assistance of Leader as is a major addition to the grounds.
Of course Tommy Treacy is one of the clubs proudest sons. Born in 1904 he had the distinction of playing for both Tipperary and Dublin and was regarded as one of the country’s most outstanding midfielders.
Treacy made his first appearance on the inter-county scene during the 1927 championship and was a regular member of the Tipperary and Dublin teams at various times until the end of the 1943 championship. During that time he won two All-Ireland medals, three Munster medals, Leinster medal and one National League medal.
At club level Tommy Treacy enjoyed a lengthy career with the Killea and Young Irelands clubs.
To this day his name is mentioned amongst the greats and dedicating the Killea GAA grounds ot his memory if a fitting tribute to a real legend of Tipperary hurling.
A lareg attendance is expected at the game on Sunday evening and patrons are advised to come early. Directions to the grounds will be signposted in Templemore town.
So do get along to Killlea GAA grounds to honour a great of Tipperary hurling and to see a good game in the process.