A Budget aimed at "assisting local economic recovery" in North Tipperary has been unanimously adopted by members of the local authority with the council committed to investing more than 1.25 million Euro in the county for each of the 52 weeks of the New Year.
The Budget for 2011, presented to members by County Manager Mr Joe MacGrath, features a 1% reduction in the commerical rate, thereby making North Tipperary the second lowest of all authorities in the county since 2005, with an overall increase of just 2.92% since then – the rate was reduced by 5% in 2010 as a response to the severe economic realities facing the region.
"We commenced the Budget process back in October when I required all departments within the County Council to reduce budgets and to find any efficiencies we could. It has been extremely challenging but there are a lot of positives in the Budget and we are committed to continuing to provide essential services in North Tipperary as best we can. There are a lot of things that we cannot do because of the financial situation. However, there are a lot of things that we can do and we must focus on these. I think if we were told that any foreign direct investor would be committing to spending 1.25 million Euro in our county each week for the next year, we would be very happy indeed. That is our commitment to North Tipperary and it is very significant indeed," Mr MacGrath told members at the annual Budget meeting in Nenagh on Monday.
Full story in this week's Tipperary Star.