Kelly gives ‘cautious welcome’ to P&G deal

P&G logo
Concerns have been expressed for jobs at the Procter and Gamble plant in Nenagh after it sold part of its operation to Coty in a $12bn deal.

Concerns have been expressed for jobs at the Procter and Gamble plant in Nenagh after it sold part of its operation to Coty in a $12bn deal.

Among the brands that the company has sold on is Max Factor, Covergirl and Wella and some of its fragrances.

Local Minister for the Environment Alan Kelly gave the deal a “cautious welcome”.

“Procter & Gamble has been in Nenagh for over 40 years, and is hugely important for the town and surrounds. I have cautiously welcomed the news that Coty have purchased the Procter and Gamble site. The fact that they have agreed to maintain staff’s terms and conditions for a further two years is very welcome and gives the staff some confidence and certainty for the medium future. I have been speaking with workers and have assured them that I will be working with Coty to discuss their plans for the future of the plant. I have also been in touch with the IDA to discuss this development and to ensure they do everything they can to solidify Coty’s presence in Nenagh long term,” he said.

While welcoming the deal, Deputy Noel Coonan said: “I contacted the IDA and Jobs Minister Richard Bruton to discuss the situation and the importance of job security for the staff under the management of Coty, and also the importance of sustaining terms and conditions for those employed in Nenagh,”

Coty has agreed to maintain staff terms and conditions for a further two years once the American company takes over at the end of 2016. However, Deputy Coonan said it was “crucial” that Coty continue to outline their plans and provide assurances for staff.

“I am encouraging all public representatives to focus on the positive of this situation to ensure not only the viability of the plant but hopefully an expansion of the facility,” said Deputy Coonan.

Deputy Michael Lowry also said that the workers needed reassurance that the plant would form part of Coty’s long term plans. He has been in contact with Coty to press home to them the need to continue production in North Tipperary.

Cllr Seamie Morris said workers were fearful that they may lose out on their years of service, despite the two-year agreement on terms and conditions.

P&G staff were told about the sale last Thursday, bringing an end to a 12-month study into the company’s manufacturing operations. Last year, they were told the Nenagh plant was part of a review along with P&G factories in Poland and the Czech Republic. P&G once employed around 500 staff in Nenagh. Between 2007 and 2009, some 330 jobs were lost, mainly to Lodz in Poland. It currently has a workforce of around 250.