The future of South Tipperary General Hospital has been secured this week, following a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday morning.
The long running campaign to save acute services at the hospital saw over 15,000 protesters throng the streets of Clonmel three years ago, witannces’. It had been feared that many of the services would be relocated to Kilkenny or Waterford under a re-structuring plan for the South East. Tuesday’s decision puts an end to the question marks hanging over the hospital’s future, said Deputy Tom Hayes. “The Cabinet discussed the Higgins report which looks at restructuring hospital services in the South East
“Under the proposals South Tipperary General Hospital will retain its core level 3 status meaning it has maintained its Maternity Services, Accident and Emergency Services and other essential services it currently provides. This ends a period of uncertainty around the future of the Hospital. Both South Tipperary and Waterford will now be combined with Cork to be part of a single hospital group with a unified management structure that feeds into the UCC training hospital at Cork University Hospital. It will be one of six hospital groups nationwide. This morning’s announcement is good news for South Tipperary and for people who have anxiously waited for this announcement over the past few months. It will mean that the services they rely on will be safeguarded and secure going forward I have lobbied extensively over the last two months to ensure that all services in Clonmel would be retained,” said Deputy Hayes.
Full story and reactions in this week’s Tipperary Star.