THE oral hearing into the proposed new bridge over the River Shannon between Ballina and Killaloe was told this Monday that Clare County Council had refused to enage with one of the objectors in a “meaningful manner”.
Agricultural consultant Richard Rea, in a statement to the An Bord Pleanala hearing in Nenagh, said that the council had failed to substantially respond before the original oral hearing date, and only responded to his detailed submissions last week - four months after they were submitted.
He said they would not be withdrawing any objections and “reject the offer made on October 3 by Clare County Council, which, is, in effect, asking us to act against the best interests of our clients, and is coercion and we reject this”.
“We are not prepared to accept a Clare County Council substandard design and lack of legal commitment.
“The standard required should be to the same standard as applied on the M7 – North Tipperary - and on the M8 – South Tipperary - and on all other national roads that we have been involved in. These are our standards.
“Even if Clare County Council were to offer us 30,000 pieces of silver per client, there will be no withdrawal of objections to meet the Clare County Council deadline,” he said.
The hearing continues.