The expansion of town beyond old boundaries often obscures the historical reality that even within old walls large populations once lived.
Whilst the contour marking out the shape of Cashel by its peripheral habitations as seen by a hypothetical visitor from another planet has expanded over the past hundred years, its population is only now returning to its pre famine size after repeated depletions as a result of that catastrophe and emigration particularly in the 1950’s.
Within the circumscribing border of olden days, Cashel’s population had greater density but also there were many streets which have since disappeared totally or fallen into disuse. In the case of the old city of Cashel a web of lanes existed, the courses of which in many cases are still evident, though not as in their hayday, others have been consigned to oblivion by the construction of newer streets or pushed aside by metal monsters at the behest of progress.
One lane very much extant and still used by all kinds of traffic is Moor Lane, the link between Dominic Street, (formerly Chapel Lane) and Main Street, its name like many others almost forgotten until the renaming of the Moor Lane Tavern, (formerly Mai Clifford’s) brought it back into public conscious use.
Read more about the Olde lanes of Cashel in this week’s Tipperary Star, page 12 section 1.