Josephine Feehily, Chairman of the Revenue Commissioners, has announced details of the administration of the Local Property Tax (LPT) in advance of Revenue beginning to issue personalised letters, Local Property Tax return forms and Local Property Tax booklets in respect of about 1.66m properties from last Monday.
Ms. Feehily stressed the following important messages:
• This is a self-assessed tax. You value your own property and if you follow Revenue guidance honestly, your self-assessment will be accepted.
• Useful sources for valuation guidance: revenue.ie, propertypriceregister.ie, property pages of local newspaper, local estate agent, property websites
• The quickest and most straightforward way to complete and submit the property tax return is online on revenue.ie.
• If you complete the paper return, the deadline for sending it to Revenue is 7 May. If you’re filing online, the deadline is 28 May.
• There are easy ways to pay like deduction at source and Single Debit Authority
• If you’ve received a property tax return but are not the owner of the property, you need to contact Revenue.
• Don’t ignore the return. If you do, Revenue will pursue collection of the Estimate.