Update on Cashel’s Medieval Walls

At this month’s meeting of Tipperary Cashel Municipal District Cllr Tom Wood requested an update on progress regarding plans to open up some restored areas of Cashel’s Medieval Town Wall with particular reference to that section at the rear of the Courthouse where adjacent land is now used by the OPW as a depot, restricting access to the Sally-port, an important feature.”

At this month’s meeting of Tipperary Cashel Municipal District Cllr Tom Wood requested an update on progress regarding plans to open up some restored areas of Cashel’s Medieval Town Wall with particular reference to that section at the rear of the Courthouse where adjacent land is now used by the OPW as a depot, restricting access to the Sally-port, an important feature.”

Management responded: “Cashel’s City Walls were built between 1319 and 1324, (and) are designated a National Monument, and, as such, have statutory protection. Cashel has been successful over the past number of years in securing funding to the value of J350,000 to enable conservation works to be carried out on sections of the upstanding portions of the Wall including the rear of the Courthouse. This section is bounded on one side by lands in private ownership and on the other by lands in the ownership of the OPW. In May 2014 agreement was reached with the OPW which would allow the Council to carry out works: Lower boundary wall between Main Street car park (Buckley’s car park) and OPW lands; installation of pedestrian footpaths; lighting on the land to facilitate public access (pedestrian only). Following this agreement the Council proceeded to undertake public consulation on the proposal. One submission was received from the Department of Arts, Heritage & the Gaeltacht. The report of the Chief Executive is currently being prepared and will be brought to members at the September meeting.”