Tipperary Allianz Cumann na mBunscol held their 2013 Annual General Meeting on Monday 25th of February 2013, in Hayes’s Hotel Thurles, at 7.30pm.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
REPORT BY AODAN WRENN
Tipperary Allianz Cumann na mBunscol held their 2013 Annual General Meeting on Monday 25th of February 2013, in Hayes’s Hotel Thurles, at 7.30pm. The Chairperson Paddy Kelly presided. Paddy Kelly opened the meeting and welcomed everyone. He thanked all the delegates for making the journey to Thurles.The Standing Orders were adopted. They were proposed by Kieran Healy and seconded by Michael Corcoran. The Minutes of the 2012 A.G.M. were presented to the delegates by Secretary Aodan Wrenn. There were no matters arising from the Minutes. The 2012 A.G.M. Minutes were proposed by Michael Heffernan and seconded by Michael Corcoran.
In his Chairman’s Address Paddy Kelly covered the following points:
1. He thanked the three Officers at the top table for their co-operation and good work throughout the year.
2. He thanked the Primary Game Selectors, the GDAs, the Blitz Co-ordinators and all the teachers who gave up their free time to coach young players.
3. He thanked Paddy Collins for his great work as Tipperary Allianz Cumann na mBunscol Handball Co-ordinator.
4. He thanked the County Board, Allianz, Munster Council, Coiste Naisiunta and Coiste na Mumhan for their generous financial assistance and overall support.
5. He thanked the Semple Stadium Management Committee for continuing to make Semple Stadium available to us for our Allianz Cumann na mBunscol Hurling Finals.
6. He thanked referees who refereed Tipperary Allianz Cumann na mBunscol matches, and caretakers of GAA pitches used by Tipperary Allianz Cumann na mBunscol.
7. He re-iterated the importance of paying the 30 euro registration fee. Each school must pay the fee if they wish to participate in Allianz Cumann na mBunscol competitions this year.
8. He thanked the Drom-Inch club for allowing us use their pitch in the Ragg last June, at short notice, for the second day of our County Finals. “The club did everything possible to ensure we had a successful day. We are very grateful for everything they did for us”.
9. He appealed to County Board Chairman Sean Nugent to allow Allianz Cumann na mBunscol use Semple Stadium for County Football Finals. He also suggested we could look at playing Football Finals under lights.
10. He also said Tipperary County Board should consider allowing Primary Schools play at half time in National League games, in Semple Stadium.
11. Paddy offered his sympathies to the family of John Walsh following his sudden and unexpected death. He mentioned that John was a great friend of Allianz Cumann na mBunscol and served as Primary Game Football Selector over the past few years. Paddy also offered his sympathies to the staff at Clerihan N.S. where John served as Principal up to his death.
Address of Tipperary
County Board Chairman
The new Chairman of Tipperary County Board Sean Nugent then addressed the Annual General Meeting. In his address he said:
“It’s a pleasure to be at this important meeting. It’s very important to be here. The County Board acknowledge the great work of Primary teachers. Many All Ireland winners of recent years have come through Allianz Cumann na mBunscol and Primary schools. Teachers have made huge contributions to the GAA. Liam O’Neill, the current Uachtaran, is a Primary Teacher. I would like to personally thank all the teachers for all their hard work. It is becoming harder for teachers to give up their free time to coach young players, so we need to acknowledge them for doing so. I’m conscious that we need to look after the teachers fully. The County Board have invested a lot into the School’s Coaching scheme. Club coaches are working very well in schools. We need more feedback from schools as to how the coaching scheme is going. In relation to making Semple Stadium available for Football Finals – the demands on the Stadium are huge. Semple Stadium is not controlled by the County Board, you must remember that. The best way to ensure you can get a booking in the Stadium is to book well in advance. That way you have a better chance of getting your spot. In conclusion thanks to all the teachers again for all the hard work you put in and all the great service you have given the GAA. My guarantee is that the Tipperary County Board will NOT reduce the grant we give to Tipperary Allianz Cumann na mBunscol”. Secretary Aodan Wrenn proceeded to go through his Secretary’s Report. This Report was proposed by Joe Carmody and seconded by Pat Buckley.
Address of Guests
Dinny Maher, the County Coaching and Games Manager, addressed the meeting. He thanked the Allianz Cumann na mBunscol Officers, and teachers for their hard work. He said it’s important to keep the Coaching Scheme, in the schools, alive. He said one area we need to explore a bit further is could the GDAs assist schools in any way with the P.E Curriculum. Dinny wished all schools the very best for 2013. Treasurer and Equipment Officer Jerry O’Donnell then went through his Treasurer’s Report. It was extremely comprehensive, as usual. Jerry went through every item on the report with the delegates. He said that the Equipment Scheme is working very well and it’s very important that it continues. He informed the delegates that the balance in the Bank is 12,751 euro. He said that it’s a healthy position to be in but we must continue to get all our grants or else we would be in trouble. The Treasurer’s Report was proposed by Brian Cahill and seconded by Michael Corcoran. P.R.O John Manley went through his P.R.O Report. It was very comprehensive and thorough. The P.R.O. Report was proposed by Kieran Healy and seconded by Pat Buckley.
Election of Officers
Charirman: Paddy Kelly. Proposed by Brian Cahill and seconded by Michael Heffernan.
Vice Chairman: Kieran Healy. Proposed by Will Ryan and seconded by Michelle Skehan.
Secretary: Aodan Wrenn. Proposed by Joe Carmody and seconded by Brian Devlin.
Treasurer/Equipment Officer: Jerry McDonnell. Proposed by Michael Corcoran and seconded by Pat Buckley.
Jerry said that Michelle Skehan, Clonoulty N.S, is interested in becoming Treasurer . She will work with Jerry during the coming year and she will become Treasurer this time next year, if elected by the delegates.
P.R.O: John Manley. Proposed by Joe Carmody and seconded by Pat Buckley.
The meeting was informed by the Officer Board that an Assistant PRO position has been created. The new assistant PRO would serve as Football P.R.O and would assist John Manley in relation to hurling/camogie matters. New Assistant P.R.O: Paudie Fahey (Clerihan N.S). Proposed by Aodan Wrenn and seconded by Michelle Skehan. The positions of delegates to various Committees were taken en bloc. They were proposed by Joe Carmody and seconded by Joe Carmody.
The only Delegate position to be decided upon was Delegate to the County Coaching and Games Committee. Donal McCarthy stated that he wasn’t standing. Pat Buckley assumed the position after being proposed by Michelle Skehan and seconded by Michael Corcoran. The Tipperary Allianz Cumann na mBunscol Committee members were returned en bloc. They were proposed by Joe Carmody and seconded by Paudie Fahey. The Coiste Gearan members were returned en bloc except for Michael Heffernan, who was standing down. The four other members were proposed by John Manley and seconded by Pat Buckley. Will Ryan, Cashel BNS, took the final position in the Coiste Gearan after being proposed by Michael Heffernan and seconded by Kieran Healy.
Primary Game Selectors
Football: (Aodan Wrenn and Liam O’Sullivan not standing).
Note: This year there will be 4 selectors instead of 5.
Kieran Healy and Paudie Fahey. Proposed by Michael Corcoran and seconded by John Manley.
Shane O’Brien. Proposed by Joe Carmody and seconded by Pat Buckley.
Orry Ryan. Proposed by Aodan Wrenn and seconded by Michael Corcoran.
Ladies Football: (All standing).
Labhaoise Cunningham, Katie Sweeney, and Anne Marie Landers. Proposed by Joe Carmody and seconded by Michelle Skehan.
Hurling:(Aodan Wrenn and Denis Kelly not standing).
Note: This year there will be 4 selectors instead of 5.
Paddy Kelly, John Manley and Pat Buckley. Proposed by Michael Corcoran and seconded by Paudie Fahey.
Conor Doyle was nominated by Templemore N.S to become the fourth Selector. He was seconded by Michelle Skehan.
Camogie: (Julie Kirwan not standing).
Michael Corcoran and Tammy Cullen. Proposed by John Manley and seconded by Aodan Wrenn.
Michelle Skehan became the third Camogie selector after being proposed by Kieran Healy and seconded by Joe Carmody.
Re-grading and Fixtures
The meeting proceeded to Re-Grading and Fixtures. The Secretary went through each Division with the meeting, and informed the delegates who was going up and who was going down from each division. The only contest in the re-grading was in Under 13 Camogie Roinn C. Upperchurch and Sisters of Charity both wanted to be re-graded to Roinn D. Delegates from both schools put their case forward. The rest of the delegates then voted on the issue, with a show of hands, and the result saw Sisters of Charity re-graded. We said we would look at Upperchurch’s position again next year.
The time-frame and dates of the Championship were relayed to the delegates. It was decided that the Officers will decide on the dates for the County Finals in Semple Stadium, after consultation with the Semple Stadium Management Committee. Those dates would be relayed to the schools at the earliest convenience. The provisional dates would be Thursday 6th June and Friday 7th June.
There were no motions.
Any Other Business
Chairman Paddy Kelly told the delegates that we would be planning a Table Quiz to act as a Fundraiser for Tipperary Allianz Cumann na mBunscol in the future. Also we will be organising a series of Rounders Competitions for schools, if they were interested in participating. All information regarding these events would be sent out to schools well in advance. Secretary Aodan Wrenn informed the meeting that he was still awaiting a letter of clarification from the National Coiste of Allianz Cumann na mBunscol regarding gum-shields and whether they need to be worn during P.E. lessons where Football was being played. However he said it would be wise for all schools to begin purchasing gum shields for their players, as the rule is here to stay. Chairman Paddy Kelly then closed the meeting, wishing everyone a safe journey home.
2013 ALLIANZ CUMANN NA
Calling all budding young Sports Reporters! Would you like to see your name in print?
We are looking for articles or accounts about Cumann na mBunscol activities in your school. Could you write a short report on a school match, training tips, humorous stories or other interesting material with a Cumann na mBunscol link? It could be about Hurling, Football, or Athletics. A special “Reporter of the Week” link has been added to our website: http://www.cumannnambunscol.tipperary.gaa.ie/. I would encourage all teachers to have writing competitions and to pick a winning entry and submit it to Tipperary Cumann na mBunscol PRO John Manley of Dualla NS at email@example.com. I will then attempt to pick a winning entry. The pupil’s match report will then appear in the “Reporter of the Week” section of our website and the winner’s name will also be announced on Tipp FM. The following criteria should be adhered to:
· Entry is to be typed and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Capital Letters should be used for each name in the title.
· Font Style: Verdana Size: 10
· It must be formatted and spell checked. There must be a space after full stops and commas.
· Report should have a title: e.g. “ UNFORGETTABLE SCENES AS FORMER PUPILS BRING ALL IRELAND MINOR CUP TO CASHEL BNS”
· Match Report should contain Score, Venue, Referee’s Name and Teamlist(s) where possible.
· Praise should be given to both teams.
· No paragraphs.
· It should be proof-read and checked for grammatical errors.
· It should be no longer than two hundred words.
· Pupil’s name, school, teacher and class should accompany entry. It must be emailed by your teacher, school principal or school secretary.
For any schools/teachers wishing to access Tipperary Cumann na mBunscol news and updates via Twitter, the Tipperary Cumann na mBunscol Twitter username is @TippCumanNamBun.
The following link will enable you to follow us: http://twitter.com/#!/TippCumanNamBun. We would encourage as many teachers and schools as possible to follow us as this will enable you to access information as soon as it becomes available. We thank all the teachers who have become followers of Tipperary Cumann na mBunscol on Twitter. We have got a great reaction from teachers and schools in recent months. We now have 402 followers.
CUMANN NA mBUNSCOL –
CO. THIOBRAID ARANN
A Chara, Please note the following:
· Our website contains the order form for 2013 and explanatory leaflets.
· Helmets, Mycro or Marc, will be distributed by courier service on receipt of signed order form and appropriate cheque. (note price reduction – super value)
· All other items of equipment, ordered and paid for, must be collected in Scoil Ailbhe Primary School, Thurles, between 5.00pm and 8.00pm on Friday, 22nd March, 2013.
· Mycro helmets available in single colour, two tone combination or faded. Please state colour preference on order sheet.(Use separate sheet if necessary)
· Marc helmets available in single colour only. Please state colour preference on order sheet.(Use separate sheet if necessary)
· Please provide your home phone no on the order sheet as contacting schools, when necessary, can be quite difficult.
· You can contact Jerry McDonnell at any time at the address or phone number below. Please do not hesitate to do so should you require further information.
· Hurleys are available at the above address at all times. Please feel free to purchase hurleys at any time, even before the equipment distribution night on Friday, 22nd March, 2013. Please ring before calling.
· All order forms must be signed by school principal.
· New Mycro gloves available this year. Place state left or right glove plus size small, medium or large when ordering gloves.
· Please make sure that any equipment ordered and paid for is collected on the equipment distribution night. Failure to collect equipment causes severe problems.
· Please return your order forms to Jerry McDonnell Tel: (052) 6121431 25 Ballingarrane, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary on or before Friday, 8th March, 2013.
2013 REGISTRATION FEE
Please send on your E30.00 annual registration fee for 2013 with your order. To participate in playing activities and/or the equipment scheme the E30.00 registration must be paid. This is an annual fee which registers a school for a calendar year. Please give a separate E30.00 cheque for registration.
For match reports, fixtures and school GAA news and events, please email Tipperary Cumann na mBunscol PRO John Manley of Dualla NS at email@example.com. Website: http://www.cumannnambunscol.tipperary.gaa.ie/. Ní neart go cur le chéile.