DEPUTY Michael Lowry has urged that the Government allows the proposed Thurles bypass route design stage to be completed.
THe route for the bypass was chosen last year but all work on it was subsequently put on hold under the Government’s National Review in the autumn.
Speaking to the Tipperary Star at the opening of the Jimmy Doyle Road in Thurles on Monday, Deputy Lowry said that the bypass was the “biggest piece of the jigsaw” that included the new link road.
He said it was “regrettable” that the process had been halted and urged talks between the Department and the NRA to progress it further because of the large amount of money already spent on choosing the route.
“The Government should reconsider the project from the point of jobs and the benefit to the local economy and at least let the design stage be completed, which I believe would cost around E500,000. I understand that in the present climate it won’t go to tender, but we should get it to the stage where it can go to tender when the time is right,” he said.
See the Tipperary Star for more on this story