The 2011 edition of our Tipperary Historical Journal will be launched at The Source in Thurles on Saturday July 9th. The launch will take place following the AGM of the County Tipperary Historical Society, starting at 2pm. The launch will be performed by Professor Peadar Cremin, President of Mary Immaculate College in Limerick.
This year’s Journal contains the usual interesting mix of articles, stretching from the medieval era right up to modern political history. We are fortunate to have contributions from new and established writers for the Journal. Des Marnane continues his close association with the Tipperary Historical Journal, with a very interesting article on the ambush at Sologheadbeg. This article is a sequel to his contribution to last year’s Journal.
Those who enjoy the medieval period will undoubtedly find the article on the Church of St Nicholas in Clonmel by Cóilín Ó Drisceoil essential reading. Dr Leon O’Doherty gives a stirring account of Lord Inchiquin’s attack on Cashel in the year 1647, whilst Joanne Hughes records the discovery of a mysterious carved stone plaque, also in Cashel.
The Journal contains the usual reviews of books which have been written by authors from County Tipperary, along with a full list of the books relevant to the County.
Full story in this week’s Tipperary Star